Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Snapshot In Time

One of my motivations of blogging was to capture memories, a diary of sorts. My life is flying by and I don't want to forget one precious moment. Four of my most precious treasures are asleep upstairs right now. They give me joy and inspiration in every day. There is no better topic that I need to capture, as we all know their youth is fleeting. So now I'll snap this one moment in time to remember them as they are today.

My darling Madison recently turned 10. She's officially a pre-teen, or a 'tween', somewhere between a child and the young lady that she will soon become. She's still my little girl at heart. She's outgoing and bold, motivated and a bit bossy. Unlike her younger siblings, there isn't a shy bone in her. She's a born leader, with an opinion and a bit of a selfish nature. She loves competition and loves to succeed. She does very well in school and enjoys the 4th grade. Her friends are very important to her. She's not really into boys yet, but I can tell she's becoming more aware of them. She likes projects and goals. She's very sensitive to my emotions, always checking on me if I seem stressed or tired. I've always had a very strong connection with this little girl, my first born. Her best buddy is her dog, Ellie. They have a very special bond. While I'm proud of the young lady that she is becoming, part of me wants to hold on tight to her and keep her to myself.

My sweet Emma is 7 and in 2nd grade. She's such an honest and simple little girl. She likes pretty clothes and wants her hair to look nice, but can climb a tree like a monkey and wears dirt like a tom-boy. She is gentle and a bit shy. She's a follower. She does well at school and loves to please her teacher. She has friends but doesn't work to please them. She likes salad and sweets, but no pizza. What she sometimes lacks in confidence, she makes up for in natural ability. Athletics and academics come easily. She's laid-back, and sometimes stuck in slow speed. She always wants to do the right thing. She's always been in a rush to keep up with Madie, walking and talking at a young age. Sometimes we forget that she is 2 1/2 years younger than her sister, and needs to be treated like the little girl that she is.

My buddy Drew is 3. He's in preschool and loves socializing with friends. He's all about dirt and cars and climbing things. He's very active and loves to talk and sing. He likes Barney, the big purple dinosaur. He hates thunderstorms. He wants to be just like his dad, snuggle with his mom, and never be too far from his stuffed elephant 'Blue'. His partner in crime is our youngest miniature schnauzer, Kira. He plays with trains and dinosaurs, and loves to take a bath. He adores his little sister and while they can fight like cats and dogs, he carefully watches over her to the point of pampering her. He has a kind heart and never means to get into trouble. He can walk into the room and have a conversation with a dog like any friend. He lives to help others, and to keep everyone happy.

My baby Macy is 21 months today. She's a doll. She's a grumpy little man in the body of a toddler. She can scowl one moment, and grin the next. She is a talker! I have no idea how big her vocabulary is, but it must be several hundred words. I stopped writing her list of words when it hit 100, and that was several months ago. She speaks in four and five word sentences. She sings her ABCs and counts to 10. She loves to sing songs, most are ones that Drew has taught her, so not all of the words are right. She has a rainbow-colored stuffed animal named 'Bear' that she wants to carry everywhere. We have to hide Bear away during the day because when Macy has her, she pops her fingers into her mouth. Without Bear, no fingers. Macy is a lightweight, but she's tall. She is a picky eater that seems to exist on fruit, bread, and meat. She won't touch pasta, has never even tried it! She's a good sleeper and loves to snuggle when she's sleepy. She's my last baby and I may hold her just a little tighter.

And now I'll sneak off to watch them sleep, a tear in my eye. I watch them grow each day and know they are slowly slipping away, each destined to be something bigger and greater than just my child. Someday they will make their mark on this world. But tonight they are all mine, and this day has been documented and locked away in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment