Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My Glory

I was asked to write an article for our club website. It features the story of a member's dog each month. I was excited to do this, but the big decision was, which dog? I've had dogs that have touched my lives in so many ways. I grew up with dogs that inspired me to continue in training. I had aussies that made me fall in love with the breed. I've had dogs that took me to big titles, dogs that gave me an education. This is the story of a dog that has been my teacher and my friend.

Loyal Spirit Be My Glory CGC MX MXJ OF GS-E RS-E JS-E-OP

There are dogs who let us learn on them, and dogs who insist on teaching us whether we asked or not. Glory has been a dog that insists on teaching me. She wants me to be a better handler, a smarter trainer, and quicker at dispensing treats. In return ,she pours enthusiasm and heart into everything we do.

A breeder friend was planning a litter and asked me if I might want a pup. I was still young in the breed, planning and dreaming. I was gathering dogs that would be my competition partners, as well as the future of my breeding program. I looked at her plans, pedigrees, and pictures, and put my bid in. I told her I’d really like a blue merle bitch. Yep, I was one of THOSE buyers. The one that not only asks for a certain color and sex, but wants a BLUE MERLE FEMALE! The litter was born and there was ONE beautiful blue female in the litter. I got to hold her in my hands as a newborn and hoped she would be mine. I waited and watched, and returned to get my perfect blue girl 8 weeks later. We bonded from day one, she was stuck to my side.

We spent her first week playing with a clicker and a dumbbell in my kitchen. She was highly food motivated. (still is!) In just a few days, she was retrieving a dumbbell to my hand. I knew she was a smart girl and was driven to learn new things. I put her in a puppy class where she spent the playtime running from one obstacle to another on the puppy agility equipment, while the other puppies chased each other and wrestled.

She brought home some nice wins in conformation from the puppy classes, became a junior handling dog for a friend, and trained in agility. Agility was, and is her passion. She quickly moved up through the classes in both AKC and ASCA. She’s a demanding partner, running with drive and passion . She barks. I mean she BARKS through the whole course. It’s not stress or frustration, it’s pure joy. I never have to rev her up to run, nor calm her down. She walks on the course like she owns it, and runs with me because she loves it.

She never gives me an easy run. She runs at a distance, which requires perfect timing and communication on my part. She’s sure to let me know when my cues aren’t clear, are late, or are just WRONG! It’s never her fault when we mess up. She doesn’t run to please me, nor make a mistake to spite me. We run as equals, both for the love of the game.

Sometimes a dog is just a great dog. And sometimes they are your friend, your partner. You have those special dogs in your life that teach you to be better. They love you and cuddle with you, and then push you to be a better trainer, handler, person. Glory is that dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment