Tuesday, February 14, 2012

What is it about dog shows??

What is it about dogs shows that makes us do crazy things? Why do we willingly get up at 5 am on a weekend, when we could turn off the alarm clock and sleep in? Why do we spend weeks of planning, days of packing, and countless hours of grooming and bathing, just to get ready. We spend our hard-earned money on the best dogs, dog food, and grooming supplies, while we dress ourselves in Goodwill suits and shoes from Walmart. Every extra penny goes to entries fees, while we use a discount code to stay at the cheapest Motel 6 we can find. We purchase our vehicle based on the amount of crates it can hold, amusing the car salesmen with the tape measure we pull out of our pocket. We drive hundreds of miles, spending hours on the road in all types of weather. Showing dogs is a huge time commitment and a test of spirit. It takes dedication and passion to seriously show dogs. To succeed is to sacrifice other areas of your life.

What drives us to this sport? Perhaps it's the love of dogs. We love spending time with our pooches and a dog show seems like a good way to get away and focus on our best canine friends. Perhaps it's a competitive nature and the dog is just the tool. Maybe it's the challenge of the training, to set a goal and accomplish it. Or maybe it's the camaraderie, the enjoyment that comes from spending time with people who have similar interests and understand why you make the sacrifices just to get to the show. I'm guessing it's a combination of it all.

They made a movie called 'Best in Show' that poked fun of our sport. I'm waiting for them to make a movie about crazy stamp collectors or people who build miniature train sets. (Do you have any IDEA how much those little trains cost??!!) There are hundreds of hobbies that draw people in. Some people train and run marathons, others collect antique clocks. They gather at conventions to scrapbook, dress like their favorite characters in Star Trek, or trade guns from the Civil War. People scour EBay for rare books or spoons from around the world. They donate their time at their church or volunteer for community projects. The Internet has become a network to meet and communicate with people who share the same hobbies and interests.

No matter what the hobby, sport, collection, convention, or network, it gives us a purpose. Beyond the 40 hour work week, bills, and responsibilities, we need something to set our minds on. We look forward to the next event or correspondence. We plan and practice and squeeze out any extra money and energy for this passion. The passion that gives us a purpose beyond everyday life, the passion that defines who we are.

Over the years I've done sports and horse shows. I've run a half-marathon and played in a band. Through trial and experience, I've picked my hobby. I'll take dogs shows. I'll get up at 5 am after a late night of bathing dogs and packing the van. I'll take my discount suits or running outfit to a show or agility trial, and celebrate that my dogs ate premium food and have the best care possible. I'll sacrifice going out to eat for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at a dog show. I'll skip having extra free time so that I can train my dogs. I'll plan and dream and write my goals. I'll hug my dogs and rejoice in each success we share. I'll enjoy the time I spend with them, the time with my best canine friends and best dog show friends. I'll come home exhausted to loads of laundry and a long to-do list to catch up around the house, only to think ahead to the next show. It's my hobby, my passion, my dream. I don't know what it is about dog shows, but count me in!

1 comment: