Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Checking in on puppies..5 weeks old.

Time is flying by and the puppies are already 5 1/2 weeks old! They are now little dogs that run, tug, bark, and chew on your shoes. A lot has changed in the last three weeks, it's time to catch up!

The puppies don't need momma Ellie much any more. She checks on them and nurses them about three times a day. We're working towards getting them fully weaned in the next week or so. She doesn't sleep with them anymore. They still have a small x-pen in the laundry room, but spend their nights in a kennel in the dog room. With the weather so nice, they have been spending much of the day outside in a double x-pen.

They started on puppy mush around 4 weeks old, and are now on dry puppy food. They drink water from a dish just like the big dogs. They love to carry toys and the girls have even introduced some of them to walking on a leash. They play in a tunnel and climb up and down steps. We'll add more agility equipment soon.

Today the puppies got their first bath! It was interesting to observe their personalities with this new experience. Tailor and Jokey fussed, Hefty didn't make a sound or struggle a bit. They are listening to CDs of household sounds, farm animal noises, and dog show racket. At night they listen to country music like the rest of the dogs. We raise good down-home, country dogs here!

Around 7 weeks old they'll go for their CERF(eye) exams and we'll do an evaluation of each puppy. At that time, based on my observations of temperament and personality, we'll start making decisions. First we pick which puppy or puppies stay with us. We've done the breeding with the intent of continuing our bloodlines, and will pick the pup/s that have the strengths we are looking for. I say that like it's purely science, but must admit that often it's certain puppies tugging at my heartstrings.
I'll admit right now that there is a certain...*cough*...MALE puppy that is begging to be mine. I told him that I'm not looking for a new puppy right now, and he's the wrong sex anyway. But then Tim reminds me that's exactly what I said about Ryder, and look how that turned out!

When we're sitting out on the lawn I watch the puppies carefully. I'd love to focus on how cute they are and who is pulling on the ear of another puppy, but what I watch is how they move. I scan for the puppy that is moving at a gait (trot), away from me, towards me, or just gliding across the yard. I watch for stride and topline and neck. I watch to see if they are converging or flipping a foot. When they stop I look for angles and presence. I always keep in mind that they are only 5 weeks old and still have a lot of developing to do. But even at this age I already know who has show potential and who will probably do better in a performance-only home.

When they are playing, I watch for temperament. I observe how they react when Macy picks one up or Drew goes running by like a banshee. Do they startle when a ball lands near them or the cat jumps in the pen with them? How far do they wander from the rest of the litter or from people? How quickly do they respond when they see people, or when we call 'puppy puppy' for them? How pushy are they when I open the gate, set down their food, or when they want attention, or down from being held. Honestly, we don't have any bullies in this litter. I have some that are more out-spoken or adventurous, but nobody is too dominant. None of the puppies are skittish or shy, although we've already seen them go through minor fear periods. Those tend to come and go extremely quickly as they grow.

Soon it will be time to make decisions. I love that many buyers rely on my input when choosing a pup. I always try to steer them towards the pup I feel is best for them, but still want them to have options. Obviously that depends on the waiting list and number of available puppies to the buyer. My favorite thing is to watch how puppies react to the buyers. Often I've watched puppies pick their person, only to get ignored as the person looks at another puppy. In the end, the puppy usually gets his/her way, once the buyer feels the same bond that the puppy already felt.

I know our time with this litter is drawing to an end. It's been wonderful (and confusing!) sharing our time with these seven blue merle babies. I'll be sad to see them go, but excited for each of them as they are paired up with a new owner. There is nothing better than sending a pup out the door knowing they have a great life ahead, and knowing that a special partnership has only just begun.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it always goes so fast when it's someone else's litter! I can't believe they're already 5 1/2 weeks, but I know that when it's my turn it will seem like an ETERNITY! LOL! I love seeing them grow and reading about how you watch them to see where they will fit best.

    ReplyDelete