Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Confession

We had to make a big decision here recently at Revelaire. You'll have to suffer through a story or two to hear what I've done.

When I bred my first litter, it was from my red tri girl Sky. I dreamt of a red tri boy that looked just like his mom. I could imagine gaiting him around the ring at shows, or picture him posing in the back yard. When the litter arrived, there he was! He was gorgeous- full white collar, great bone and structure. But he wasn't mine. As weeks passed it became obvious that the red merle male was obnoxiously begging to be mine. I felt no connection with the beautiful red tri male of my dreams. But a young lady on the waiting list, who had hoped for a red merle boy, was drawn to the red tri. Go figure. We all followed our hearts and it was a very happy ending. That red merle is my beloved Boom. The red tri boy went to the perfect home where he accomplished great things.

Fast forward several years to my Spencer x Glory litter. I was hoping for a black tri female. Good girl Glory gave us three black tri females to choose from! I spent the next several weeks looking over the three girls, dreaming of which one might be mine. I tired to ignore the pesky dark blue merle girl that was trying to get my attention. Guess who stayed here at Revelaire? Yep, that pesky blue merle is my Libby. I can't imagine life without that special girl.

I'm a breeder and once a year we have a litter of pups join our lives for 8 weeks. While I love each puppy we produce, I don't get attached to them. I get great joy of sending them off to their perfect homes. I love meeting up with them at shows or when they come to visit. They are happy to see me, but happier to go home with their loving owner, the person or family they were meant to be with. People ask if it's hard to let puppies go to their new homes. It's not really, they were never meant to be mine. I have no connection with these pups beyond that as their breeder, they have a destiny with someone else. When the right person is matched with the right pup, it's a beautiful thing!

And then there comes a time when you weren't even looking for a puppy, but one chooses you. Yes, it's time for the confession. A puppy picked me in this litter. I wasn't even keeping a pup. Emma was getting her first dog out of this litter, and the rest were to be sold. I've tried to ignore this puppy for the past 7 weeks. Every time I walk by their pen, he's staring at me. The others are wrestling and playing. When the puppies are out and about, he's between my feet, just to be near me. When visitors came to see the litter, he ignored them. I don't know why this is meant to be, but I'm sure it is.

I always have a hard time with big decisions. You should have seen what I went through with each decision to add a child to the family! I've stressed and worried and prayed over this. This isn't a child, we won't be sending him off to college or planning a wedding. Still, we are adding a new pup to our family. It's important. Sometimes you just have to follow your heart. I've learned that everything happens for a reason, and your gut feeling is usually God leading your life. In this case, God put a pup at my feet. It took a while for me to give in, but I did. I picked that pup up and let him into my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment