Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Just the facts, ma'am.

So I mentally wrote a few different blog posts in my head this week. But when I sat down to type something, nothing was working. I didn't have a topic in mind that fit my mood right now, and honestly, it had to be something good after last week's post. I mean, how DO you follow that?!
After some writing and deleting, I settled on a topic that should be easy enough, and perhaps is something I need to do early on in this blogging experience. I'm going to write about ME. Sort of a 'Let me introduce myself" post.

My name is Dawn Lee Williams. I was born in Beechgrove, Indiana, on July 31, 1976. I was a bicentennial baby and had a special birth certificate to celebrate that. My parents were young, but that meant they were energetic and fun. My childhood is filled with memories of camping, hiking, canoeing, travel, and generally staying busy. I'm an only child. It makes me a bit of a loner, as well as being somewhat selfish and opinionated. I was loved and cherished, but not spoiled. My best buddy growing up was our family dog. We got her when I was 5 (kindergarten) and lost her sixteen years later during my senior year of college. My parents both worked and I alternated spending my days with my grandparents. My one Grandma had boxers. She had been a former breeder, and was still very active in the local boxer club. I would go to obedience practice with her and read through her books and play with her dog statues. Here I learned to be quiet, play by myself, and solve the puzzles on Wheel of Fortune.
My other grandma is busy and energetic. That side of the family is from southern Kentucky. I loved hearing about our relatives in my grandmother's sweet southern draw. Still, when I'm sitting around the table with family, I hear myself slipping into that twang.
I lived on the east side of Indianapolis for several years, in a neighborhood where you could walk your dog or ride your bike around the block, but "If you cross the street, I'll spank your bottom!" My best friend's mom was a dog trainer and I still run into her at dog shows with her border collies. In fourth grade we moved down to Brown County, IN. We only lived there a year while we built our house in Trafalgar, where my parents still live. I attended Indian Creek schools and graduated in 1994. I ran cross-country and track. In my younger years I tried basketball and swimming. I was very active in 4-H. I showed dogs, cats, horses, sheep, as well as other projects. My passion for dogs was encouraged by my two amazing leaders. One took me under her wing, bringing me into the world of showing collies. She trusted me enough to send me into the ring with her beautiful bred-by dogs, and took me to many shows and seminars. My other leader took me to ASCA shows, where I could show my mutts in junior handling and obedience. It doesn't surprise me that the multi-talented aussie caught my eye at these shows.
During high school, I also met my future husband, Timothy James Williams. Granted, at the time he was dating my best friend.... Obviously they weren't meant to be and we were. =)
After graduation, I attended Franklin College where I got my BA in English, and went right back for two more years to earn my teaching degree. While in college I ran track and played soccer and field hockey. It was during field hockey that I had a ball slam into my face and broke the orbital bones in 4 places. During college I worked at a pet store, mainly in the fish room. After college, I married my best friend, Tim, on June 26th, 1999. At this time we researched and decided on the Australian Shepherd as our breed of choice. We added a miniature schnauzer to the pack and I showed our dogs in conformation, obedience, and agility. I started work at Kingsway Christian School in 2000, teaching middle school English. I LOVED my job and place of employment. In 2001, I became pregnant with our first child. Our daughter Madison Faith Williams was born January 4, 2002. Two years later, we added Emma Grace Williams on May 17, 2004. During this time, I decided to work only part-time, and found a position in the preschool at Kingsway. I liked to tease my former middle school students that teaching preschool was exactly like middle school!
A few years passed and we decided to add one more baby to our family. On June 20th, 2008, we had a beautiful baby boy- Andrew James Williams. He was born a month early and was tiny and could not maintain his blood sugar. He was in the NICU for a week. Just a week after we took him home, he stopped breathing in Tim's arms. I was able to revive him while we waited for the paramedics to show up. Drew soon overcame the complications of his early delivery and developed into a healthy little boy. At this point, I became a stay-at-home mom, subbing now and then. Since we believed our family was complete, we sold all of the baby items and moved forward as a family of 5. And then it happened...I had these strong urges to have another baby. I didn't believe our family was complete. I truly believe that God laid it on my heart and that our 4th child was always meant to be. On June 8th, 2010, our Macy Lee Williams was born and completed our family.

I am a simple country girl who loves being a stay-at-home mom. I am most comfortable in jeans, tennis shoes, and a t-shirt. I do pony-tails and tend to go make-up free as much as possible. I'm low-maintenance and easy-going. I'm pretty honest, and can keep a secret. I'll be your friend if you ask me, but I'm still not very out-going. I love to read and take naps. My children and dogs are not only what keep me busy, but they are my passion. I find such joy in them. I have dreams and goals, but none more important than raising my children to follow God.
This is who I am. A piece of my parents, a product of my life. I hope and pray that this is just a small part of my story. I have so much more I want to do, so much to live for.

Fast facts about Dawn:
1. I don't drink alcohol or cuss. I don't mind those who do, but I have no use for it.
2. I've been pulled over 7 times for speeding, never got a ticket. I know how to be sweet when it counts. =)
3. I was painfully shy as a child. One of those kids who hid behind her mom and hated to speak to strangers.
4. I dreamed of being a veterinarian, but I'm too squeamish for severe injuries and surgeries.
5. I started out as a Biology major but couldn't do the Calculus classes so I switched to English. It made much more sense, it was always my easiest subject in high school.
6. I ran the Indianapolis mini-marathon in 1998. I finished in a respectable top 1/3 in both age and gender. (I would love to do this again!)
7. I worked as a horse-back riding instructor in New Mexico in 1998. My back was broken when a horse pinned me. 4 vertebrae and damaged kidneys. Once I recovered, I had to walk with a cane for a while.
8. I once rode in a rodeo as one of the flag girls who perform a routine on horseback.
9. I have been in trouble with the law. (obviously not speeding! haha) It's a when-you-get-to-know-me-better story that I save for close friends.
10. One of my greatest memories is the day I earned my first MACh, with my darling Abbi. Madison was there to take part, as well as most of my closest dog friends. They had a wonderful celebration ready. I'll never forget that day, it was the finale of a long and wonderful journey.
11. My lucky number is 13.
12. I always dreamed of breeding dogs. That dream came true in 2006 with our first Revelaire litter. More about that dream later!
13. I started showing dogs at age 9.
14. I got my first horse at age 12 and started showing right away. I found my niche with barrels and poles. I love all gaming classes.
15. I never wear the color red.
16. I love all kinds of red soda pop.
17. I hate jellyfish. Ewwwww!
18. I crave chocolate.
19. I'm left handed.
20. I've never flown in a plane.

1 comment: