Monday, January 23, 2012

New life is coming to town!

For as long as I can remember, I have loved dogs. From the young age when I started showing, I dreamed of being a breeder and producing fine dogs. I dreamed of litters of puppies that I had researched and planned. I dreamed of watching those puppies grow, sending them into the perfect homes, and watching them become dogs that I could be proud of. I dreamed of entering a competition with a dog of my own breeding at the end of my leash.
Dreams can come true.

We have a Revelaire litter due in just over a week. This will be our 7th litter. It's time to set up the whelping box, hook up the video monitor, get out the supplies, and panic a bit. Yep, having puppies is a very nerve-wracking event! I've given birth four times, but I am much more nervous whelping a litter. Every move, every decision, every problem that comes along is my responsibility. While this moment is exactly what we planned, prayed, and bred for, it's also the scariest part of breeding dogs.

When all goes well, it's a beautiful event. I prefer the times when I get to sit back and watch, take notes, weigh pups, and just observe the wonder of nature. It's as exciting as Christmas! When each puppy arrives, you get a quick glimpse at the color as mom does her job. Then I anxiously await my chance to move in and peek at the sex. As long as mom is active and competent, I stay out of the way and let her do the work. She chews and crushes the umbilical cord, licks to clean and dry the pup, and helps each pup find his/her way to nurse. In the end, you have a litter of beautiful puppies nursing on an exhausted, but joyful momma dog.

But then there are times of tears and pain. The times you fight for life and do anything you can to save your bitch. All the time, knowing you got her into this and you will do anything to make sure she lives through it. The times you have a lifeless newborn in your hands that may live or die because of what you do next. You may save the baby, or you may have to eventually make the decision to set that one aside and move on to help another. You may have a puppy that is struggling to breathe, pass away in your hands. Or you rush your bitch to the vet to save her life, only to lose the litter. Or you lose the bitch, but save a litter of orphans. With life, comes the chance of death, and there is nothing as heart-breaking as holding a baby being in your hands that never got a chance to live. He or she never got to know what it is to love and cuddle, never would play with a ball, or run through a tunnel.

After a long, hard event, you are left with a box full of potential and responsibility. The blind/deaf newborns are at the mercy of your care. Their momma will provide the milk, you provide the safety, comfort, and clean environment. Their journey begins.

So now I wait. This last week and a half we'll pamper Miss Ellie as she prepares to enter motherhood. I plan to blog about the delivery, as well as follow the development and experience of this litter. Obviously it goes perfectly with the title and intention of my blog.
As her time approaches, I prepare for a long, sleepless night of worry and anticipation. I'm not sure who is more relieved in the end when it's all over, me or the momma dog. I love the point when I feed and potty the momma, change the bedding in the box, and tuck in the new family, all warm and cozy. Then if I can, I sneak off to bed for a few hours of sleep, waking occasionally to peak at the video monitor, lulled to my dreams by the squeak of nursing newborns. My heart is fulfilled. Yes, dreams do come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment